Engenya offers years of experience in the field of expert services to support clients through legal disputes, arbitration and litigation. By applying sound scientific principles and logical construction of rigorous technical arguments, we have been a valuable resource to a number of law firms and their clients in different countries.
Our strength lies in taking a complex technical argument and stating it so that it is clear to experts, lawyers, judges and laypeople alike, without watering down the solid science behind it. We make use of in-depth technical analysis, simulation and if required, testing to understand the system behaviour and to explain it. Our results are presented in a clear, realistic graphics wherever possible and our technical documentation is thorough and consistent. Ultimately, our experience has been that this is an unassailable approach that has enabled us to consistently assemble winning arguments based on an accurate representation and understanding of the objective facts.
Whether a failure investigation, a trade secret dispute or a patent infringement case, we are ready to put the full strength of our resources at your disposal.
- Failure root cause investigations.
- Event reconstruction through analysis, simulation and testing.
- Research and evaluate prior art in intellectual property matters.
- Research, assess and argue patent infringement cases.
- Assistance in drafting of claims and patent applications.
- Support arguments in trade secret, intellectual property and product liability issues.
- Advise and educate attorneys on technical matters.
- Support mediation, negotiation and litigation.
- Provide technical reports and documentation.
- Provide testimony in court.
Some of the more important failure investigations our people have conducted or worked on in the past:
- Analysis and simulation for a large energy services company related to the premature firing of a pressure activated firing head due to suspected water hammer (USA, 2020)
- Analysis, simulation and report for a UK based oil company related to the unintended actuation of downhole valves due to thermal conditions in an offshore installation off the coast of Ghana (UK/Ghana, 2017)
- Analysis, simulation and report for a pump manufacturer related to the failure of one of their designs in passing a qualification test for protection against explosion of the motor housing (Switzerland, 2017)
- Analysis, simulation and expert report for a UK based oil company related to the insertion failure of a dual ESP string in a North Sea well (UK, 2016).
- Analysis, simulation and expert report for an oilfield tubing manufacturer in defense of a USD 300 million claim from an oil company alleging defective equipment led to the loss of six wells (UK, 2015-2016).
- Analysis, simulation, testing and expert report for a large energy services company for negotiations related to two completions jobs that suffered gun ruptures (USA, 2014)
- Analysis, simulation and expert report for a large energy services company in support of negotiations with their client regarding a perforation job that suffered a gun parting failure (USA, 2012).
- Analysis, simulation and report for a large energy services company for negotiations with their client regarding the off-depth actuation of a pressure activated firing head (USA, 2012).
- Analysis, simulation, testing and report for a large energy services company for negotiations related to a job involving the unintended release of perforation gun connectors (USA, 2011)
- Analysis, simulation and report for a large energy services company for negotiations related to a job that suffered the failure of perforating guns (USA, 2010).
- Analysis, simulation and expert report for a large energy services company for negotiations with their client related to two problem jobs involving the failure of perforating guns (USA, 2009).
- Analysis, simulation, testing and expert report for a large energy services company for negotiations with their client related to off-depth firing of perforation guns (USA, 2008)
- Structural and buckling analysis in the investigation of the cause of collapse of a large warehouse rack system (USA, 2002).
Following are some of the legal cases that we have worked on, providing analysis, simulation and expert technical reports:
- JAMES DAVID BAIRD v. YMCA, YMCA v. ASCO L.P., Iowa District Court for Scott County. Liability case for ASCO, a division of Emerson. Supported expert report. Pearce Durick, 2019-2020. Settled. (USA).
- NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO v. Manoj Gopalan and RIME DOWNHOLE TECHNOLOGIES, LLC, 348th District Court, Tarrant County, TX. Trade secret case for plaintiff. Supported declarations. Raley Bowick. 2019. (USA).
- SPECIALIZED DESANDERS v. ENERCORP. Canadian Federal Court. Reference Miller Thomson. Expert for Enercorp, Supported 3 declarations for invalidity and non-infringement. 2018-2019. Settled before trial. (Canada).
- NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO, L.P., Petitioner, v. TECHNICAL INDUSTRIES, INC., Patent Owner. IPR. Supported 5 declarations for NOV invalidating 4 patents. Reference Raley Bowick 2016-2018. (USA).
- ROBERT TODD SIMMONS v. CUDD PRESSURE CONTROL, INC.; MUREX PETROLEUM CORPORATION; AND SPECIALIZED TECHNICAL THREADING, INC., TILLMAN & ASSOCIATES, LLC; AND ROBERT HOFFPAUIR, JR., in the DISTRICT COURT, WILLISTON, NORTH DAKOTA, NORTHWEST JUDICIAL DISTRICT. Liability case. Supported 3 expert reports for Cudd. Reference Pearce Durick LLP and Sutter Law. 2016-2020. (USA).
- WPX Energy Williston, LLC vs. Armada Pressure Control, LLC; Tervita, LLC; Sage Consulting, LLC; and Thru-Tubing Solutions, Inc.; 125th Judicial District; Harris County, Texas. Liability case. Supported expert report for defense. Case settled before trial. Reference Brown Sims, 2015. (USA).
- PEAK COMPLETION TECHNOLOGIES, INC. AND SUMMIT DOWNHOLE DYNAMICS, LTD., v. TEAM OIL TOOLS, L.P., STEPHEN JACKSON AND EVEREST COMPLETION in the DISTRICT COURT, MIDLAND, TEXAS, 441st JUDICIAL DISTRICT. Trade secret case for Team. Supported expert reports. Reference Jackson Walker LLP. 2013-2014. (USA).